I thought I would post a copy of my birth plan for anyone who would like to see what one looks like. When I had Gabriella, three years ago, I copied a birth plan from a website. Now that I have studied, researched and know better, I have recompiled my list of wishes for our baby girl, who is due in early February.
Our plan would be to deliver at Alta Bates Medical Center, with a midwife, 100% natural and avoid interventions all together. I will have my birth plan with me, my labor supporters who attend the birth will know what my desires are and together, we can all ensure the birth of our daughter is nothing less than magical.
Our Birth Plan
Parents: Jessica & Daniel
Due Date: February 2013
Physician/ Midwife: Jeri Zukoski, CNM and Lindy Johnson, CNM
Baby: Ireland Rose (Girl)
We desire a labor and delivery that is free from any unnecessary medical intervention, 100% natural. We strongly prefer a soft/calm vaginal delivery and are avoiding a Cesarean Section, at all costs. Please discuss any suggested interventions or procedures with all of us, in full detail and obtain our verbal/written consent before initiating any such interventions or procedures. We want to know the full scope of risks prior to consent.
- I request a private room with a hydrotherapy bath tub, if available.
- Ideally, I prefer my environment to have dimmed lights, soft music and voices respectfully lowered
- FHR monitored by intermittent monitoring only, no internal monitors placed on baby’s head!
- Vaginal exams when medically necessary, not every hour, please
- NO PITOCIN at all! This is a natural birth. I would like to use natural methods to keep labor progressing.
- NO EPIDURAL!! We desire a 100% natural birth and will use natural methods for pain management.
- I would prefer to labor in the birthing tub for as long as possible, as much as possible.
- I would like the freedom to move/walk around during labor along with the use of birthing balls & stools.
- If the midwife feels that pushing may not be progressing efficiently, I would like to change positions.
- I would like to try different positions to ease labor discomfort, to be conducive for a natural delivery
- I request the freedom to eat and drink during labor as needed, if tolerated
- I prefer no IV at all.
- Please avoid use of urinary catheter
- Prolonged length of second stage if progress is being made, let my body progress on its own timeline
- I would like to use nipple stimulation, reflexology, pumping and walking to keep labor progressing
- Would like to labor down, on my own until natural urge to push is felt
- I would prefer to tear than to have an episiotomy–if out of bath, Please use massage oil to guide the birth of baby’s head and body
- I would like a mirror available so I can see my daughter’s head when it crowns, if delivering out of birthing tub.
- Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
- My Husband (Dan), and family are to be present at all times
- Dad would like to have the opportunity to catch baby in delivery, if baby is delivering well and it is medically safe. If Dad does not want to or unable, I would like to pull our baby out; put her on my chest.
- Skin to skin contact to be immediately established for the first hour. Weight, measurements may occur after the 1st hour. I am breastfeeding & would like baby to crawl to breast, on her own.
- DELAYED CORD CLAMPING Do not cut cord right away! Please offer cord cutting to Father, once cord is finishing pulsing (45+ min after birth).
- Natural delivery of placenta: PLEASE DO NOT DISCARD PLACENTA, we plan to take it home for encapsulation
- Please provide me with nutritious food and drink as soon as possible, following birth.
- Baby to breastfeed immediately, would like help from nurses on positioning, latch.
- NO FORMULA or Water! I would like to breastfeed and have every feeding be at my breasts, only.
- No post-delivery Pitocin or pulling on the cord
- If stitching of perineum is necessary, please use local anesthetic
- Newborn to stay with parents at all times. “Rooming in”
- Please perform all physical exams on baby and procedures in the room with mother present
- If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany her at all times.
- I would like to postpone any immunizations until a later time. I do not want baby to receive any Vitamin K shots, Heb B shot or any other vaccinations post birth. No antibiotics in the baby’s eyes, as well.
- We plan to deliver a baby girl however in the event we have a boy, we will NOT be circumcising.
“There is a secret in our culture, and its not that birth is painful, it is that woman are strong.”- Laura Stavoe Harm